2007-07-03

Tom's JeepNoir

I signed paperwork this evening and received the key to my "Jeep Noir". It's has a black exterior with a small red sport stripe. The interior is the same gray as the Geek Jeep!


Tom's JeepNoir
Originally uploaded by TSayles
The "Jeep Noir" passed pre-purchase inspections this afternoon in good shape. [Much better then the Geek Jeep did in 1999.] The only serious hits were:
  • Needs a tune-up
    (routine maintenance item)
  • Breaks will need to be done later this year
    (routine maintenance item)
  • The windshield is cracked
    ($244, including mobile instillation service while I'm at work, just had this done on the Geek Jeep about a month ago. )
  • The passenger side rear door window is broken out
    (this can easily be replaced with the one from the Geek Jeep)
  • And when the cooling system was pressure tested the heater valve exploded!
    (A common failure point on early '90 jeeps. I've gone through about six of them, and have a spare on hand most of the time.)
The inspection and the replacement of the heater valve cost under $80.

There are a number of cosmetic / comfort items that I will transfer from the Geek Jeep, including:
  • Radio w/ custom cut cluster bezel
  • Gray floor mats (new from Costco only a few weeks ago)
  • Driver's seat, and possibly front passenger seat if they don't match,
    (Twenty / forty minute job. The Driver's seat in the Geek Jeep is in better shape.)
  • Driver and front passenger door panels, including stock stereo speakers,
    (Jeep Noir has after-market speakers that don't really fit.)
  • Passenger side sun visor
    (JeepNoir's is broken.)
  • Driver and front passenger window handles
    (Jeep Noir has back and I think the gray looks better.)
An unexpected bonus is a Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio receiver module that should plug into the Kenwood Sirius Satellite ready radio that's currently in the Geek Jeep. So at some point I'll have to get and install the proper cable.

No comments: