As many other head coaches can probably attest to, leading a vaulting club can suck up every spare hour and brain cell you're willing to give it. Which most of the time is a good thing. This winter has been a little hard on my club as we lost our longeur back in December and have just recently found a new parent that seems up to the task.
In other news of note that you might find interesting:
- I've given up on Microsoft products on my desktop(s) and have successfully made the switch to Ubuntu Linux, OpenOffice.org, etc.. I just am not willing to shell out the bucks to upgrade my Microsoft products when good free [both as in speech and beer] alternatives exist.
- Still haven't taken the plunge into either emacs or vi. I seem to be stuck on gedit (a tabbed word pad clone with nice syntax highlighting).
- Heavily using both Firefox and Thunderbird. Thunderbird in particular did a relatively good job moving from Win2k to Ubuntu. In Firefox I'm also running the Yahoo Toolbar. I tried the Google tool bar but it seemed a bit invasive.
- I'm currently subscribed to nearly 50 podcasts and on average listen to about eight hours a day (~500Mb). [One of the few upsides to the toothbrush factory is that I can listen to my ear buds as I keep the machines fed and running.] On my ToDo list is to post an edited list of what I'm listening to on my blog.
- I've been hacking together a customized set of bash scripts, initially based on BashPodder, to download podcasts and burn them to CDs. I want to put a multiuser PHP front end on the system and start a little podcasts on CD by snail mail service.
- I've put together a nice little podcasting setup (Behringer 802 mixer, MXL 990 mike w/ shock mount, cool home brew goose neck mike stand, iRiver recorder). However I don't seem to have time to record / produce the kind of programs I want.
- I've got a couple of different blogs going including "TomS Words of Wisdom" and "CascadeVaulters.org". And I try to keep them more or less up to date. One of my sources of materials is e-mail replys to friends and family, like this one.
- The Geek Jeep is coming up on 350k miles. Like most elderly jeeps it leaks, currently both power steering and engine oil, though neither at critical rates.
No comments:
Post a Comment